Monday, August 5, 2013

Sambar

I love eating Sambar with rice. Sambar is a South Indian Dish served with Idli or Dosa but this is my version of Sambar. You can add vegetables of your choice in Sambar, I prefer eggplant, onion, tomatoes, and drumstick. I have got this tamarind from Goa which is seedless and can be added directly to the curries. So I use the same in Sambar and I add it while boiling the lentil. I don't make Sambar Masala at home so I use the store bought ones. Everest Sambar Masala tastes nice and I prefer that. I guess people in South India make their own Sambar Masala but I am happy with what we get in the store. So lets get started.....
Sambar
Ingredients:
3/4 cup toor daal
1 onion, finely sliced lengthwise or finely chopped
1 inch ginger, grate it or make a coarse paste using mortar and pestle
1 drumstick, cut into 1 inch long pieces
1 medium sized eggpalnt/brinjal, cut into small pieces
1/2-1 cup tamarind water, adjust to taste
1 tomato, chopped
7-8 curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
2 tbsp sambar masala, or as per instructions on the sambar masala pack.
1-2 tbsp ghee for tempering (Ghee brings out a nice flavour so I prefer Ghee for tempering, you can add 1 tbsp or more if you are not concerned about the calories)
1/4 tsp turmeric
Salt to taste
Method:
Wash the lentil properly and soak it for a couple of hours. Soaking the daal will help in cooking it faster.
Boil the lentil in a pressure cooker along with the sliced onion and ginger until 2 whistles. I have added 2 cups of water while boiling.
Once the cooker cools, give the daal a stir. The daal should be soft and mushy by now. Add the sambar masala powder, turmeric, salt, tomatoes, drumstick and eggplant along with 1 1/2 cup of water and stir again.
Keep the pressure cooker back on flame to boil until 3-4 whistles.
Once the cooker cools check the consistency of sambar and also add tamarind water. If you think it is too thick add water at this stage. After adding water bring it to boil on medium heat. 
Tempering:
Heat oil in a tadka pan. Add mustard seeds. Once they start to crackle add asafoetida and curry leaves. Saute for few seconds. Temper the Sambar with this.
Serve Sambar with rice, idli, or dosa.
I have seen people boiling the lentil and the vegetables separately and then mixing it together. So it's all up to you. Finally what brings out the taste is the Sambar Masala and the tempering. 
Sambar & Coconut Chutney




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your suggestions and feedback here.